Chao Phraya is the title of the highest nobility inThailand. It is also the given name of the great river that flows through Bangkok. It is the main transportation artery and ommercial route of the country. On this picture we see an old ship flying the French flag navigating on the river.
A number of foreign buildings were constructed on the bank of the water, notably in the Bang Rak district. The French embassy was one of the first diplomatic missions in the country, being established as consulate in 1857, after the signature of the treaty of friendship and of the commercial trade between France and Thailand.
A piece of land was first given to the French diplomats by King Mongkut (Rama IV) in 1857, then King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) decided to give this property to France in 1875. The building of the Residence of France was altered several times after the donation: a porch and veranda would be added. This historic monument contrasts with the new contemporary design of the Embassy’s new building, built in 2015. The Ambassador’s Residence is open to the public every year during the European heritage days in September.
- This painting is inspired by an engraving of Louis Le Breton - Collection Véronique BORDAS - (1818 - 1866), who was one of the most prolific painters, engravers and lithographers of his time.